Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Cereal Box Journal

Today, I've taken a break from the Letter Love course and have done a little bit of work on some Mail Art and a few other projects that have been neglected lately. I needed a change of scenery. I'm getting so involved in the course that I'm missing the other projects I was working on prior to it. After today, I'll be back to working on the course again! It's nice to have a little distraction though.

A while ago, I found a tutorial on YouTube on how to make an Art Journal using recycled cereal boxes. The girl in the video used boxes for everything in her journal, including the pages, but then I saw another tutorial (I can't remember where now) where the lady used envelopes and brown paper bags for the pages of the journal she had made. Seeing as I only had one small cereal box, I proceeded to make the cover (which is kind of warped because I went nuts on gluing it), then spent some time gathering envelopes and paper bags for the pages. It was taking a long time, so I decided to mix it up a little and use other kinds of paper like, brown paper, pages from old books, tracing paper and graph paper. I even found that the brown paper mushroom bags at the supermarket were a really cool addition!

I finally had enough paper to make three signatures for the journal, although it could have handled up to five. I stitched it all together and, VOILA! One complete art journal where I can gesso over my pages and create wonderful new art filled journal pages!

If you would like to check out the YouTube video on how to make your own Recycled Cereal Box Journal, just follow this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec04rVh0ndU I'm really looking forward to making another one now, but I have to start my collection of paper bags and envelopes again. That's ok, I don't mind. :)








8 comments:

  1. If only I would get started... such a journal is on my to-do-list, Alison.
    Yours looks great. How long did it take you to stitch?! Can't wait to see more of the pages :)
    Have a great Valentine's Day! (Do you celebrate this down under?!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And a lovely Valentines Day to you too! We most certain;y do celebrate it here :)
      The stitching didn't take very long. This is quite a basic stitch and I've made a few single signature books before. They're lots of fun and make great little gifts.

      Delete
  2. Your book looks great. I can't wait to see the inside pages. The mushroom bag is very cool. Any chance of you mailing me one of those sometime? I'm your beggar friend. We don't have those here. We do have some cool paper that food comes on at fast food places. I'll have to look for those. :)

    Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Boo! I'd be happy to send you a few of the bags. Next time I go shopping, I'll grab you some.

      Delete
  3. This is incredible Alison, I really love it. I have a box to use and I think I am now inspired to complete a project....so many ideas and projects and so little precious time...arghhhh!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! I know how you feel! I've got so many projects to do already, but I keep thinking of more. So little time though! I'd love to see your journal when it's done.

      Delete
  4. Nice information about cereal box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And thanks for stopping by my blog! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...