Friday, February 15, 2013

Do What You Love

I've fallen a bit behind in my lettering course. I struggled with a couple of the tasks and others I have just simply chosen to take my time with. The beauty of this course is that it's open forever for me, so I can take all the time I need and even go back for a refresher lesson if I choose to.

I spent a couple of days working on this one. The task was to choose a quote, set out the lettering, then use water colour for the background. I always believed I wasn't very good with water colour paint. I have tubes of water colour paint and I've always just made a terrible mess with them. The other night I had an epiphany! Use pan watercolours instead! So the next day I bought myself some pan watercolours and set to work. Success! They are so much easier to use! I was quite pleased with my efforts for this project.




12 comments:

  1. Oh Alison this is simply lovely! Your color choices are incredible! Thanks again for sharing your lettering course! I always am excited to see what your next lesson is going to be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that the artist's loft watercolor set from Michaels? If so, I have the same one and it's my favorite! I even have some fancy tube watercolors that I will forgo using in favor of these! It took me a while, but I do like (both cake and) tube form. I love your lettering too...It is so well executed. You make me want to give it a go so badly! I do need to practice my writing skills...my poor handwriting looks like a 12 year old boys...so says my mother since the day I picked up a pencil...but it's true...sad and true! But it won't stop me from trying...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! These are some rather inexpensive watercolours I bought, they are Micador. I seem to have good luck with Micador, as I have some Oil Pastels of theirs too and they are also quite cheap. Sometimes you get lucky with the bargain stuff. My handwriting too, has got progressively worse over the years, cursive mainly, so the course helps to really develop your handwriting and make it just that little bit more snazzy!

      Delete
  3. Alison, This one is just beautiful. You did so great with the watercolor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Boo! I was pretty chuffed with my water colour too. I think I might just get into the whole water colour technique now!

      Delete
  4. Very very nice... love that page! What kind of paper do you use, Alison?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've been using water colour paper for all my projects. 300gsm / 190lb. It's great paper to work with.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...