Thursday, February 21, 2013

Lettering With Hot Glue.

I can never think of imaginative titles for my blog posts. I sat here for ages trying to conjure up a fabulous title and this is all I could come up with! But really, that's beside the point, because really, I am here to tell you about lettering with a hot glue gun.

Part of the lettering course I am taking (Letter Love 201 with Joanne Sharpe), has required us to bring out the hot glue gun and do some lettering with it. Now, I had heard of people using their hot glue guns in art journaling but not for writing with! This was really thinking outside the box for this one. So, we were to think of a word, or two if we chose to, and use the hot glue gun to write it. It could be sketched first so we could use an outline to go by, or just wing it. Being the perfectionist that I am, I chose to ever so lightly pencil it first. I had about five practice shots and after I had become comfortable with the gun and it's trigger sensitivity, I got stuck into my final piece.

To highlight the word, and it's texture, we were to watercolour the background. I had previously been afraid of using watercolour paints, but after buying my pan paints recently, I was pretty keen to use them again for my background, and this is the final result...


This (above) is a scan of the finished piece. I really love how the light from the scanner highlights the glue. The next two images were taken on my phone and you can see the texture of the glue a bit more clearly.







6 comments:

  1. Alison, This technique is so cool. I'm going to have to hunt up my glue gun and give it a try. Fantastic job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blog. I found you through Letter Love. I enjoyed reading your posts, and your art is fabulous! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kimmer! I'm loving the Letter Love course. I hope you are too! :)

      Delete
  3. Great blog post!!! ALL of them! So happy to have you in our lettering club Alison, your work is AWEsome!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Joanne! And thank you for such an amazing course and being such an inspiration. I'll definitely be taking more of your courses!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...