Sunday, March 24, 2013

How To Make Resin Paper

Recently, I've seen a new Art Journaling (or even Scrapbooking) technique on the net, and I wanted to have a go at this myself. So this weekend I have been experimenting with making Resin Paper, and today I documented what I did so I could share it with all of you!

You Will Need:
*Two part Epoxy Resin, or Ice Resin. (I used 2 part Epoxy)
*Measuring Cups
*Popsicle Stick
*Kitchen Sponge
*Rubber Gloves
*Craft Mat (or greaseproof paper/baking paper)
*Some printed images and/or old book pages

*Make sure you have your craft sheet, or baking paper, wax paper, grease proof paper under your project at all times. The resin will not stick to this. Some have even suggested using a kitchen trash bag. Placing a resin coated image directly on your benches could result in damaged surfaces. Placing resin coated images onto paper may cause your image to stick to the paper and ruin your project.*

*Step One: Measure 2 equal parts of your Resin and Hardener in separate cups. It is important that you measure accurately, otherwise your resin may not cure (or harden) properly and will remain tacky.

*Step Two: Pour your Resin into a separate cup, then pour the Hardener into the same cup. Resin must be poured first, then hardener, not the other way around.

*Step Three: Mix the two together for approximately 2 minutes. Be sure to scrape the sides and bottom of the cup to ensure that the mixture is completely combined. Once combined, let it sit for another minute or so to settle.

*Step Four: Choose your image and make sure you have your resin handy and a small sponge. You will also need your gloves for this part. I used a printed image I had on the computer. I have an ink jet printer and the process works just fine. You can use pages from an old book, magazine clippings, anything you like. Some have even used scrap booking paper.

*Step Five: Using your mixing stick, drizzle some resin over the top of your image. Pouring the resin on could result in pouring too much, so just drizzle. A little bit of resin does go a long way.

*Step Six: Using your sponge, gently wipe the resin across the entire image, ensuring complete coverage. Make sure you are wearing your gloves as resin can react with your skin when it is still in a liquid state. (I was naughty and did not wear gloves and did this at my own risk) Apologies for the blurry photo. I was trying to sponge the resin and take the photo at the same time.

*Step Seven: Once you have covered the image with resin, flip it over and repeat the process on the other side.

*Your images should look like this after both sides have been coated with resin. I gently sponged over the top of the front of my image again just to smooth out the resin again.


*I hung my images up to cure. The curing process will take anywhere between 12 - 24 hours. Until then, your project will feel tacky to the touch. Others have left their images on their craft sheets (or baking paper, etc) to cure but I didn't want to risk the slight chance that it could stick to the paper and tear. Provided you don't coat your image too much with resin, there will be no drips to worry about, if you choose to hang your images up. Just make sure you don't get your peg on your image.

Here is an image I made up yesterday and it shows you the amazing effect it can have on your papers. The resin reacts with the fibres of the paper to give it a transparent appearance. The image has a wonderful clear coating which is durable and leaves you with endless possibilities when included in your craft projects, art journaling or scrap booking. It has even been suggested that these would make great transparencies for overhead projectors! 


I had so much fun with this project and I plan on making a few more resin coated images yet! I'm already conjuring up some journal pages I can add them too. I hope you have a lot of fun with it too. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask in the comments below!


I selected this post to be featured on Blog Nation. Please visit the site and vote for my blog!

12 comments:

  1. That looks great, have you already tried the magazine version. I wonder how it comes out, when both sides are printed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gabriele. I haven't tried a magazine image yet, but will do so. I'm a little particular though and would probably want something pleasing on BOTH sides of the page, which could be difficult with a magazine. I will try and find an image that has text on the back so the text comes through the image. I will post more images when I've experimented some more.

      Delete
  2. Ooooh Alison, love, love, love!!!! Thankyou for sharing, I am so putting this on my to do list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! You're going to love the results. I could see you incorporating this into your beautiful creations too!

      Delete
  3. Alison, That is amazing. I had no idea it would make your image see thru. This is a very cool technique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Boo! You really should give it a try. It's just too easy!

      Delete
  4. What an excellent tutorial. Very professional looking and everything explained to a "T". This is the first thing I saw when I got up today. Makes me wish there weren't so many other things to do before I can play in the resin myself. Before the week is out I am going to resin several different papers and see what I get. I'm interested to see how brittle, antique papers do when given this protective coating and I plan to do some vellums with glitters and stamping on them too. What fun! I admire that you can do a tutorial like this. You are a Super Star! <3 Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan! You must let me know how well antique papers cope with the process. Including glitters sounds like fun! I must give that a try.

      Delete
  5. That transparent image looks excellent! I wasn't even aware that this is possible. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claudia! I was quite surprised myself at how well this actually worked when I first tried it.

      Delete
  6. What a great tutorial AND result :)
    Thanks for sharing, Alison! I appreciate your effort... and yes, naughty you, not wearing gloves!!! I had to smile about your comment... ;)
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jana! I like to craft at my own risk sometimes. Lol! :D

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...