Saturday, March 30, 2013

My First Handmade Book

I have always been interested in notebooks and journals. I can't resist buying them. I have so many of them and I often don't use them as I am too afraid of spoiling them by writing something in them. I just love to have them. Don't get me wrong though. There are notebooks and/or journals that I do use. I've even got a board on Pinterest dedicated to Notebooks and Journals! I also have an interest in making books too. I have borrowed many books from the library on book making and have messed about  making basic single signature books, but it wasn't until a friend put me onto a Youtube video on how to make a basic case bound book, that I really wanted to try something a little bit more challenging.


I don't have fancy book making equipment, but for a beginner, you don't need it. I used printer paper, bought a little bit of coloured paper and cardboard (at a total cost of 90c) and grabbed my pencil, ruler, cutting mat, X-Acto knife, a needle and thread and some PVA glue. The average crafter will have most, if not all of these items, I'm sure. So, with that, I sat down and got started!


Stitching the signatures together took the longest amount of time, but after that, everything came together fairly quickly. I'm really pleased with how I did for my first go at this and I'm afraid to say that I think I might just get a little bit addicted to making books now! I'm very keen to get started on another one and to learn more techniques.



I learned this technique from SeaLemonDIY on Youtube. She has some great tutorials for book binding. If you're interested in learning how to do this technique, watch the video below. 



6 comments:

  1. Simply awesome! It looks perfect, Alison.
    Everything about the love of journals and notebooks could have been written y myself! ;) I just love journals, notebooks, good paper... Well, haven't made time yet to make a book, but it's high on my list of things that I'd like to try.
    Anyway - thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jana. I had a lot of fun making this. One day you'll make one and I'd LOVE to see it. You could decorate the cover with some of your beautiful doodles.

      Delete
  2. Oh wow, this is amazing Alison. Really enjoyed reading this post. Thanks so much for sharing. Have a wonderful Easter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by! I hope you have a lovely Easter too.

      Delete
  3. It looks so crisp and perfect! Go for another one!
    I'm the same way: I hoard precious journals and then decide they're too precious to draw on. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm working on another one as we speak! And my handmade book has joined the other books on the shelf... for the time being anyway. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...