Sunday, March 17, 2013

Well, That's A Bit Creepy...

I woke up very early this morning after having quite a disturbing dream. It's not unusual for me to have strange dreams or nightmares. I love dreaming. No matter what kind of dream it is, I'm usually quite fascinated that my mind is capable of producing such imagery and thought. However, this morning was particularly creepy and it took me a long time to get back to sleep. Aside from the fact that after a while, I was actually lying there thinking about how I could actually put this dream into a journal page.

This is a new thing for me. I've never used emotion in my art. I've never put thoughts onto a page. I've always just started a page and whatever happened after that was, well, whatever happened! I used to write my dreams down all the time, many years ago. After the birth of my daughter, I found morning routines more of a priority, and by the time I remembered I hadn't written down my dream, I had forgotten most of the details and didn't bother writing it down. I think it's something I might just start doing again. Anyway, I thought that this particular dream might be quite interesting as a journal page. I had already prepared a page for another project, but wasn't entirely happy with how it was going, so I gesso'd over the top of it. There had been quite a bit of texture on the original page, layers of paper, oil paint and ink, so I thought this would be an added feature to the darkness of the page.

For this page, I used acrylic paint and oil pastel. The teddy bear is something I found on Google Images. I splattered a little Indian ink over the page too, just to make it that little bit more grungy. I have blurred some of the text. Although I want to share my page with my readers, I do want to keep the text just a little bit private.





8 comments:

  1. Alison, this is just perfect! I absolutely love it, I like creepy pictures. That is, what I usually come up with. When I look at this page, I wish myself many nightmare, when they turn in so beautiful artwork.
    I also don´t like to put emotions into pictures, so I am able to show some facts of life and death and anything in between, that enables me to work on such themes with a little sense of humor and not too much dripping drama. I am sure you know what I mean. When you look into my portfolio, the mixed media section, there is a lot of this stuff.
    Your page is an emotional piece without the usual kitschy appearance.
    More productive nightmares and greetings from Gabriele, Artatag

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gabriele, thank you so much for your comment. It's just wonderful to have another artist know exactly where this piece came from, and it is especially wonderful to come from such an inspiring artist such as yourself. Here's to having more 'interesting' dreams!

      Delete
  2. Very interesting - perfect 'translation', I'd say (even though I don't know what exactly your dream was about and what you wrote... that's not necessary - the page conveys...
    Looks like you've found a new source of inspiration :)
    Have a happy week, Alison!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jana! I'm hoping the dreams will be a good source of inspiration too.

      Delete
  3. The dream was creepy. You caught that feeling very well. Great page. I'm with you ... I never put emotion purposely on my pages either until recently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Boo. I was really hoping I could get it to work, so I'm really glad it did. My pages have a tendency to never quite look how I envisioned, but this is exactly what I wanted. I'm really learning not to force my pages lately. Whenever I have, it just doesn't work.

      Delete
  4. Looking at that gave me goosebumps! An excellent transference, obviously.
    ~S.

    P.S. The postcard you made arrived this morning. Thank you so much! I love it. It's so nice to receive a piece of mail art. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah! It was definitely a very creepy dream. I think I nailed it with the portrayal. I'm glad your card arrived and that you're happy with it. Next time, I'll try and come up with something a bit snazzier!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...