Wednesday, March 20, 2013

When It All Goes Pear Shaped

Sometimes there are days where you have an art journal fail. Today was one of those days for me and boy am I annoyed. I spent yesterday setting up a new page with off cuts from backgrounds I had created but not known what to do with. I had been inspired to try this particular page by Donna Downey. So today, the glue had dried and I was ready to start work. I added this, and I added that, and was quite pleased with how things were coming along. I reached a point where I wasn't too sure how I should continue. It was at that point where I should have walked away... But I bought some new Gold Lumiere paint. I was dying to use it.

 ...I should have just walked away...

So! The top image is the layout I wanted... The bottom image is what it looks like now. Not a happy camper. I don't even know what to do with the layout I have now, so I'm just going to leave it. Inspiration will strike later I'm sure. In the meantime, I'm doing what I should have done before investing many wasted hours into my original page, and I'm walking away. I guess we all have days like this. It's all part of being an artist. I have learned, however, that I can't force a page. I wanted to do a page today, but on reflection, I shouldn't have done a page today. My best pages are created when I don't really try and just let it happen.




2 comments:

  1. I can´t really share your disappointment, but I don´t see your intention just the result. To me it is not finished, but not as frustrating as to you. Just wait some days and maybe you can try some sanding or so. Destruction in this case is not loosing, it is gaining something new, and if it is only experience.
    I just remember one of my teachers said: a bad picture can always make a good background. And these times I remember a saying by Picasso: It took me four years to paint like Rafael and a lifetime to paint like a child. He is so right. Our grownup judge is giving us hard times.
    Cheers
    Gabriele

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gabriele. These are wonderful words. You always know just the right thing to say. :) Yesterday, I just wasn't in the right frame of mind. I am leaving it for a few days. Something will happen when I least expect it.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...