Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Butterfly Tags: How To Make

I've always been a little intimidated by collage, but my friend Gabriele at Artatag makes beautiful tags and I really wanted to have a go at making some of my own. So yesterday, my daughter and I sat down and got out some tags that I had bought from the news agency and set about "sticking stuff" to them. I had borrowed a book from the local library called The Collage Workbook: How To Get Started and Stay Inspired. I found this extremely helpful and after an hour or so I came up with these two tags!


I posted the image on my Facebook page and the response was quite overwhelming and many people who commented asked how it was done so I thought I would do a blog post on the procedure.

 Materials Used:
* 2 Tags
* A Background Image (I just found an interesting image in a local events brochure that I found at my library)
* Some printed text (I printed my text on some tracing paper using an ink jet printer)
* Some butterfly images (I find a lot of my images on Google Images. That may be a little bit naughty, but my artwork is for personal purposes, I never sell it. I also find it on some of the blogs that offer free digital printables and sometimes I've bought collages from Etsy too).
* Gesso
* White paint
* Corrugated Cardboard
* Distress Ink (Walnut Stain) and a Filigree Stamp
* Lumiere Gold Paint
* Glue Stick

Firstly, I glued my background image onto the tags, then I used some very watered down Gesso and did a quick smear over part of the background image. Then I used my printed text. I could have used my resin papers for this, but I found they were a little too glossy for what I wanted so I found some tracing paper and printed my text onto it. I just had an ordinary pad of tracing paper and used my ink jet printer. I chose this method as I wanted to still be able to see the background underneath the text. Tracing paper also tears rather nicely so it was easy to tear it just how I wanted. Tear a fairly large piece and trim it to the size of the tag after you have glued it down. The glue tends to make the tracing paper curl, so it's easier to manage if you have a fair sized piece to work with. Ok, so you might be wasting a little, but for the sake of not cursing at your tag, I recommend you do it this way. As I was using a glue stick, the glue dried quite quickly. I found that one of the tags had quite a lot of white on it, so I grabbed my Distress Ink and inked up a filigree stamp. First I stamped the image onto a scrap piece of paper and then onto the tag, just to give it a slightly faded appearance. I found some corrugated cardboard and brushed on some white paint. I pressed that down onto the tags. I then glued my butterflies down and lightly brushed some Gold Lumiere paint around the edges of the tags. And that was pretty much it! I hope this step by step was easy enough to follow, but if there are ANY questions, please do't hesitate to ask in the comments below.


11 comments:

  1. Sneaky. I always use the print on tracing paper trick too. Thanks for answering my questions. It still doesn't explain why the white seems to glow but I'm content now. Beautiful work. I love it more every time I look at it :) Still don't understand how to sign these things so it's from anonymous. Guess who. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so sweet Susan! I can't explain why the white seems to glow for you. It's just white paint. Maybe it's the lighting when I took the photo. I'm glad you like the tutorial and you know I want to see your creations when you've done them! xxx

      Delete
  2. You are honoring me Alison! And the back side of the medal is: I have to make new efforts to make some new style tags! Your tags are just wonderful, you are very talented and a wonderful person!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gabriele, your tags are unique to you and that's why I love them so much. I don't think you should change your style at all. Thank you for your lovely comments and being such a fabulous inspiration! x

      Delete
    2. When I change my style means, I am trying something new or different. I cannot change my style completely, like being someone else, that doesn´t work, and meanwhile I think it is perfectly alright. The wonderful thing is, we can inspire each other, without copying - like you do in the beginning, learning. Again I regret, that we live on opposite sides of this planet.....

      Delete
  3. I didn't know you could put tracing paper through the printer. A new trick to put in my bag. I've already said it. They are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Boo. I remember putting tracing paper through my printer years ago when I used to make cards. It's a great technique.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful!! And thanks for sharing your technique!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Patricia! And thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. What a bright, colorful and informative post. I quite enjoyed stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...