Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Well, That Wasn't Meant To Happen.

So this week has turned out to be a little bit of a fail as far as book binding goes. Last week, I came up with some (what I thought were) really cool ideas and started working on them straight away. I had been browsing on Pinterest and found some great Tangles that I could use as cover designs and I also thought that certain food packaging would look awesome as book covers too. Soon after coming up with my wonderful ideas, I came down with a head cold. Deciding that I needed to soldier on during this time, I soon realised that head colds and book binding don't mix. Although my covers looked fantastic (well, at least I thought so anyway), my binding was just awful.


However, I think I may have been a bit hard on myself for this particular Coptic Stitch journal. I looked at it a few hours after I had finished it and decided that the stitching was not as bad as I had initially thought. I did use the wrong thread though. It IS waxed linen thread, but far too thick for the project, in my opinion anyway. Overall, I think I'm actually happier than I was with this book!

My next project was to make another Coptic Stitch journal with food packaging as a cover. Using an iconic Australian jelly package, my intention was to make something really cute and unique. I thought I had stitched everything together quite nicely, but perhaps it was a little too firm, as the cover kept popping up. But then, maybe a little loose, as the pages sort of 'slid' around. I couldn't quite figure it out. 


What you can't see in this image is my hand holding the cover down. So, today I decided to pull it apart at try again. It wasn't going to be a seller, so why not just give it another try? This time, I stitched the pages together quite firmly and not quite so firm with the top cover and I ran into the same problem again. That, and the fact that I gouged the cover while cutting the binding off. Knowing that my daughter will always snaffle up my creations, I figured I would at least make try to devise a way of holding the cover down before giving it to her.


This actually ended up being a method that worked quite well, but wasn't quite what I was after. However, with some tinkering and modifying, I'm sure I can get this cover design and closure method to work. I'm determined to make it work. So, although all these things weren't meant to happen, perhaps it was the universe's way of telling me that maybe it WAS meant to happen. Otherwise, I wouldn't learn from my mistakes, would I?

6 comments:

  1. Sorry for your frustrations. I think the button closure is darling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like them all, and am so impressed, after all I just learned the pamphlet stitch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lee! The first stitch I learned was pamphlet stitch too. Give Japanese binding a go next, it's not as difficult as it looks. SeaLemon on Youtube has some very easy to follow tutorials.

      Delete
  3. I love your jelly book - and you are so creative in solving the problem of the 'popping up' cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jane! I've been dwelling on the whole closure issue and I think I can use the same technique, but in a slightly different way. Stay tuned and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...