Sunday, September 15, 2013

Cereal Box Journal: Part 2

Earlier on in the year, I wrote a blog post about a Cereal Box Journal I had made (see post HERE). I was quite happy with the results and was determined to make another one. So for a few months now, I have been slowly working on another journal and I have to say that I am REALLY happy with how this one has turned out. For months I collected as many different papers, envelopes, and paper bags as I could find. I even used the Resin Paper technique (see post HERE on how to make Resin Paper) on a few papers to include in the journal. Finally, I had enough paper to make enough signatures to go into the journal. By this time, my muse had taken a leave of absence, and I was left with a blank journal cover, so I put it aside to work on at another time, and found other projects to work on.


One day, as I was tidying up my workspace, inspiration struck! Don't you always find that happens when you're tidying up a creative space? I fossicked through various bits of ephemera, found some cute Washi tape, grabbed my Dymo label maker and some gesso. Everything just seemed to fall into place and within a couple of hours, I was so happy with the journal cover that sat before me.


At this point, I stitched a button onto the cover with the intention of having a nice wrap-around tie that would secure at the button, but as I worked on this, I feared that constant wrapping around the button would cause the button to fall off, so I came up with an alternative.


Finally, I began to sew the signatures in, using a Long Stitch method. I think the previous journal was just put together with a basic Pamphlet Stitch. I love using Long Stitch and I'm really keen to make a journal with some gorgeous watercolour paper and a suede cover, using this stitch. 




Overall, I'm super happy with how this journal turned out, and again, I'm absolutely keen to make another one. This journal was made using quite a small cereal box, and is probably in between an A6 and A5 size, so I think I will be daring and make a full sized cereal box journal for my next effort. I'm not sure how I'm going to fill the pages of this one, but I am looking forward to doing so. I might turn it into a sort of Smash book and have a collection of bits and pieces to adorn the pages. We shall have to wait and see. For now, I shall just admire it for the beautiful journal that it is. Inspiration will strike, and I will know the right time to fill its pages.

I really hope you have enjoyed my post today, and as always, thank you so much for stopping by!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...