Monday, October 7, 2013

A Trip Down Memory Lane

In my last blog post, I mentioned that I would dig out my old journal with my old sketches in it. So yesterday, I went hunting through the book shelf and found it. After flicking through it's pages, I was actually quite surprised at some of the detail in the rough drafts within. It had always been a book for ideas. I'd scribble and doodle on scrap bits of paper while I was at work, or sitting around watching tv. I'd then stick them in my journal to go back to later, and draw a final copy. Many of the pictures never resulted in final copies, however, but some did. One day, I'll hunt those down for you too. In the meantime, here are just a few of the many, many doodles and sketches I did while I was in my 20's.

Messing around with the human form.

I've always loved dragons and would sketch them all the time. This one ended up being called Dragon Chook because it reminded me of a cross between a dragon and a chicken.

A face. I had focused on shadow play rather than sketching the outlines of the facial features.

Teddy on the floor.

One of my favourite movies is The Dark Crystal, and this is a picture of Aughra who was one of my favourite characters. When I worked in the video store, I would often draw the characters of movies using the video cover as a reference. This one got scrawled out in blue biro. (I've altered all the images to be in black and white for this post). 

Another blue biro sketch (yet altered to be in B&W). I loved to draw eyes too. I have a great drawing of a frogs eye somewhere.

So, there you go! As I looked through my old journal, I wondered if I would ever be able to draw like I used to. I find that I never have the time to sit down and immerse myself in a drawing like I used to, so I take pleasure in the art that I can do quickly and get instant satisfaction from. 

2 comments:

  1. Fabulous Alison. Thank you for sharing these. I bet it would be like getting back on a bicycle once you got going again & regained your confidence. Give it a go.... ;) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks TwinkleToes! I'd love to get back into it again. The journal was certainly inspiring and, as it was intended for when I was younger, I did find some projects in it that I'd like to turn into final pieces.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...