Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Doodle Mania!

Recently I purchased copies of Craft-A-Doodle, by Jenny Doh and Art Doodle Love, by Dawn DeVries Sokol, and I've also borrowed myself a copy of Creative Doodling and Beyond, by Stephanie Corfee, from the local library. Since then, I have been in Doodle Mania mode! These have been incredibly inspiring books and I urge any of you, who love to draw, doodle and/or art journal, to go out and find yourselves copies of these books!





What I enjoy most about doodling is the freedom of not sketching things out with a pencil first, and just getting in there with the pen and going for it. Nice, raw lines and curves. I've said this before, and I'll say it again. I used to be very critical of my own work. Everything had to be perfect. A drawing HAD to look exactly the way I had wanted it to look, otherwise it would end up in the bin. Sadly, A LOT of my artwork ended up in the bin. On the rare occasion I would ever let anyone see my work, I would often be told that it was great. However, it wasn't perfect, it wasn't how I wanted it to look, so it would go in the bin. Had I known then what I know now, I would probably have several journals and folders full of artwork. I do have one that I've kept all these years. I'll drag it out and maybe post some stuff for you guys. So now, I'm not afraid to let go and just go crazy in an art journal, or doodle something crazy. I'm also not afraid to show people my work, which is a HUGE hurdle for me. I am always happy with the great stuff I can turn out, but I'm also grateful for the crappy pieces and the mistakes, as they are always something to learn from. And the best part is that the entire process is always great fun, no matter what the end result looks like.


2 comments:

  1. I can relate. . That is why I named my stereo " The Underground". I am getting more confident, and now bring some of my work above ground.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It takes a lot of courage to put yourself out there! Well done Chrystel! Keep it up! x

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...