Sunday, November 24, 2013

Chocolate Box Journal: Take One

I love chocolate. It just goes without saying. So when hubby and I don't feel that just a bar of chocolate is enough, we get a block. One night, I realised that the box that the chocolate came in would actually make a pretty cool cover for a journal, so I rescued the box from the recycling and put it aside to work on at a later date. I forgot all about it until the other night, when we were eating more chocolate! So, the next day, I decided I would make a start on figuring out how this journal was going to work.




I could have just altered this box by painting or collaging over the top, but I chose to use it as a template this time. Goodness knows, I eat enough chocolate, I'll just get a collection and alter them next time, because, to cut a long story short, this one didn't turn out the way I had hoped.


I wanted to make use of some of my recent Gelli prints (that, YES, I STILL haven't blogged about, and keep promising to and I WILL soon.... I promise! lol), so I cut this one up to stick over the top of the blue cardboard. I couldn't have used a crappier glue because as soon as I scored it with my craft knife to make the folds, it all started to separate.



I cut some paper to size to make one fairly thick signature and sewed it on using a basic pamphlet stitch and folded it all together. After all my hard work, I was a little disappointed. The gelli print, became unstuck from the blue cover, I should have doodled on the print before I stuck it on but was impatient, there was a fold where I didn't want one, I cut flaps off the template that I shouldn't have and made the folded book kind of cave in on itself, and I made the width of the signature too small.




HOWEVER! This WAS a learning exercise and I will not let these mistakes deter me from making another, even better one! So just you wait for Chocolate Box Journal: Take TWO..... after I've blogged about those Gelli prints I keep telling you about... 


6 comments:

  1. That is completely cool! It's so fun to know that I can make a journal out of almost anything,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yolanda! I'm always trying to find something cool I can turn into a journal. I hope you have fun trying this method too! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Hej!!! Did you know I made several of those too?!??! My husband is the chocoholic here (though I like chocolate, he is the one who provides the most empty covers ;)) and I have a whole box of chocolate 'covers' or 'sleeves'... and yes, I simply left the wrapping as is. So cool that you're doing this too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jana, I would LOVE to see some of your chocolate box journals! I will send you a choccy box and you can make a journal with it. OR! We can do a swap! I'll make you a chocolate box journal and send it to you! I think that sounds like fun. :)

      Delete
  3. Ohmygosh...this is completely fun! I love how it wraps up like a little box of surprise. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Wouldn't it be fun to fill the pages with all your favourite chocolate wrappers? I think I just came up with another idea! :D Thanks for stopping by my blog!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...