Sunday, December 8, 2013

Christmas Bauble Mail Art: Tutorial



Recently, I posted some images on my Facebook page and on my Instagram account, of some Christmas bauble mail art that I was working on. A few people had requested that I do a tutorial on how I made them, so I am going to tell you, more or less, how they were done. I'm sorry I don't have indepth photos of each stage, as most of the cards had been made by the time tutorial requests came in, but I'll do my best to explain how the process went.

I've been collecting my daughters school snack boxes and recycling them to use in journal covers, stencil making, anything really. So here, I chose to design a small bauble stencil. I think the circumference of the bauble is about the size of a regular sized coffee mug. 

Once they were all cut out, I covered each one with pages from old books. I have a homemade book press that I use a lot, so I popped all my cards into the press to help flatten them while the glue dried. I don't know about you, but I find a lot of my stuff gets a slight curve in it when I glue. After the glue had dried, I got my Silks Acrylic Glazes out. They have such a gorgeous shimmer to them, so I thought they would be perfect for the cards. When I use these paints, I tend to give the pot a good shake and just use the paint that's left in the lid and use some cheap make up sponges to wipe the paint onto each card. It goes on smoothly and blends fabulously when you add the other colours over the top.

Silks take very little time to dry. I then grabbed my pot of Lumieres True Gold paint and using some punchinella, dabbed some little gold circles onto each card. Lumieres also dries quite quickly, so I was able to move onto splashing a little white paint over the cards. Once dried, I then began my doodles. First with black pigment pen and then going over the top with a white gel pen. I found some Christmas wordstrips from Darkroom Door that I had forgotten I had and used those on each card. Using my gold Posca pen, I then did little scribbles around the words and on the edges of the cards. I finally finished off each card with a little gold ribbon so that they may be hung on the Christmas tree!

And that is pretty much how they were done! I'm currently in the process of decorating the envelopes for them to go into, as they are probably too small to venture out into the big wide world of postage on their own. So I'll include a few little Christmas bits of ephemera and what have you in the envelopes as well. I really hope the recipients are happy with them!


Follow my blog with Bloglovin

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing Alison! They are sooooo wonderful and so very much like christmas! Great!
    Love
    Gabriele

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alison, I soooo love these! Thank you for sharing the process! LOVE your little swirly's :)

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carol! I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Alison, these are amazing, Thanks for posting the how-to. The recipients will LOVE them! Hugs, Pamikins!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...