Monday, January 20, 2014

Catching Up!

I always bite off more than I can chew when it comes to art. Could that be a good thing? I'm not sure... It's NOT such a good thing when I can't keep up with my projects on a day to day basis, but it IS a good thing that I'm constantly inspired enough to have so many projects on the go. Needless to say, with all the artsy stuff, my blog gets neglected and although I have loads to blog about, I run out of time to do it and end up with this giant backlog of stuff to blog about! So, in order to catch up on events, I'm going to post a bunch of pictures for you, of my recent adventures in art, with a quick blurb on what it's all about. First cab off the rank is:

My "Roots" Journal. I'm currently taking part in Kristal Norton's ROOTS e-course which is proving to be very good fun and quite liberating, in the sense that she is encouraging us to just let go of our inhibitions and not be afraid to just create without fear of failure. In week one, we prepped our journals to get started. I haven't quite finished the prep work yet though...

I have another journal that I work in sometimes. Most of the time, I just smear my left over paint in it, then eventually get around to trying to work with the page. I had made a few back grounds some time ago and never went back to them because I didn't know what to do with them. Finally inspiration struck and I did this. Not my finest page, but fun to do, nevertheless.

I decided to start doing a little workshop by Tamara Laporte called Quirky Birds. It's a segment from last years Life Book (2013) that proved to be one of the most popular. So she's offered it to everyone now and for a very reasonable price too! I made a start on my birdies background today. I battled a little bit, but, as usual, I made a final mistake, where I thought I had completely ruined everything, and it turned out to be exactly what the background needed. I shall post again when my quirky bird is complete!

Of course, we can't forget Week 3 of The Documented Life Project! The challenge was to use an envelope from our letter box. I didn't want to use some boring old bill envelope, so a friend and I decided to send each other a partially decorated envelope with some goodies inside to help finish the challenge. I got some lovely pieces of ephemera from my friend, and also used a few pieces from some more happy mail I had received that week from another friend. As a rule, I want to make everything that goes into my planner, from this year, 2014. So, I'm really pleased with how this one turned out! Now to get started on Week 4!


Well, this image is a lot smaller than I anticipated, but here she is! I gave you a sneak peek of her lovely eye last week and now she is complete. For this lovely lady, I used acrylic paint, Derwent Artist coloured pencils, and Gelatos. I had used a page from an old telephone book for her hair, but I didn't realise that the paint I was using was so heavy bodied and it completely covered up the writing. I'm still learning to do faces so this is all just part of the learning curve. Overall, I'm happy with how she turned out and I'm keen to do more!

So, that's a round up of what's been going on this last week. I have a mountain of other stuff sitting on my workbench to get through. I'm still doing my Calendar Challenge every day too and I will post some images of that at months end. In the meantime, I'll keep you up to date with more arty adventures, so as I always like to say, STAY TUNED and thanks for visiting my blog today!

4 comments:

  1. I am trying again. I sent the last reply from my ipad, hmm did not work. Very interesting background, Alison. How did you do it, did you use salt on it?
    Why does your lovely lady look so fed up?? She is a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gabriele. iPads are a bit finnicky sometimes with comments. I didn't use salt, I splashed water all over it. Initially I splashed dark blue paint on there but hated it, so I blotted it which lifted some of the paint underneath it as well. Then I just went with water. At this point, all my lovely ladies look fed up. It's either a reflection of how I feel when they are not turning out as I had envisioned, or the fact that I haven't mastered drawing smiles on them yet. Baby steps with my lady faces. I'll get there eventually. ;)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...