Thursday, January 23, 2014

My Pencil Case Is Too Small...

...so I found a bigger one! The problem was, I didn't like the design on it.



I have a million pencils, markers, pens, erasers, you name it, on my work desk. I also have a selection of bits and bobs in a pencil case that I use when I'm not in my workroom. It's got everything I could need. A small ruler, protractor (I haven't used it yet, nor will I probably, but the day I take it out, I'll need it), a compass, a kneadable eraser, scissors, assorted pencils, pens and markers, etc. Well, I added some more pens to it the other day and realised there was just no more room! Rather than buy a new one (because, between my 9yo daughter and I, there are enough pencil cases in this house to supply a class room), I hunted down an old one I wasn't using anymore, you know, one of those old tartan jobbies. So, instead of getting on with my Documented Life Project challenge, I decided to cover the whole pencil case with gesso and paint a whole new design on it.


I'm really sorry, but I don't have an image of the pencil case that just has the paint on it. I just started doodling and then realised that I hadn't taken a photo. But basically, while I was waiting for the gesso to dry on the pencil case, I continued on with my DLP challenge. Now, to get a little sidetracked, I was quite happy with how my DLP was working out (after much frustration at the beginning), so I decided to implement the same technique onto my pencil case. 

This is the end result of my Document Life Project challenge. I decided to use this technique on my pencil case.

So, after using acrylic paint to do the background, I then used my Posca paint pens to doodle over the top.



And now, for the finished result!


What do you think? At this point, I have only finished one side of the pencil case. I aim to finish the rest over the weekend and then I will transfer all the contents of my old pencil case into my new snazzy one! I'm not sure whether to go over it with the iron to heat set the paint or not, as I didn't use a fabric medium with the acrylic. A friend is sending me some from her stash which I will be using on an old canvas bag, but it hasn't arrived yet, and I was curious how working with paint on a pencil case would work. I shall try and post an image when it's all done though. In the meantime, thanks so much for stopping by my blog today! xxx


8 comments:

  1. much improved!! love the new pencil case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alarmcat! I agree ;) I love my new pencil case too.

      Delete
  2. I just love your bright colors! What acrylic paints and colors did you use?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vicki! I just used cheapie paints from the dollar store. I would love to have Golden acrylics though!

      Delete
  3. That's beautiful. I'd be interested to see if the paint is ok or if it cracks and flakes over time. Could you use an acrylic varnish over the top?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm interested too. I've gone over it with the iron to heat set the paint. Whether this actually works or not, I have no idea. I just read it somewhere. I could try an acrylic varnish. Would that make the case a little tacky to the touch though, do you think?

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...