First we put all of our ingredients aside. This image shows extra ingredients as we had a few recipes we were going to try as well, but settled on using the Lush recipe.
For this method, we used:
1 Cup of Citric Acid
1 Cup Baking Soda (BiCarbonate of Soda)
1/2 Cup of Cornstarch (Cornflour)
1/2 Cup of Coconut Oil (maybe a bit less as we found it a bit too oily)
12 Drops of Essential Oil (of your choice)
Silicon Molds or Bath Bomb Molds
Food Colouring (optional)
Spray Bottle of Water (optional)
1. Mix all of your dry ingredients (Citric Acid, Baking Soda and Cornstarch) in a bowl. Combine them well. Now is the best time to add your food colouring, if you're going to. DON'T do what we did and add it to the oils! (See next image)
2. In a separate bowl, or jug, mix your oils (melted coconut oil, essential oil). As you can see, we added food colouring to our oil which did not mix, but separated into individual drops. So we decided to go back and add the colouring to the dry ingredients.
So we added just enough colouring to make it a nice soft pink.
3. Slowly add the oil to your dry mix. It will fizz up so you need to work quickly. Only add LITTLE BITS AT A TIME. Mix that in and then add more, mix then add, mix then add and keep going until all your oil is combined. You should have a consistency of damp sand. If you grab a small handful and clench it in your hand, it should hold together. Ours was a tiny bit crumbly, so I added 3 spritzes of water to it and it did the trick. I wouldn't add any more water than that.
4. Press your mixture tightly into your molds. Using the back of a spoon to pack it in is helpful.
5. Leave them in the mold to set for about 24 hours. Once we removed them from the molds, we let them air dry for a further 6 hours and then they were ready to pop into the bath! The video below shows you just how fizzy they are! We called our bath bombs Raspberry Lemonade, as we used pink food colouring and Lemon Myrtle Essential Oil. The coconut oil added extra scent to the bombs too, so we decided that Raspberry Lemonade was a great name for our bath bombs.
We thought this was just the best fun and we cannot wait to try some different recipes and scents! There are so many different recipes to try! But first, we are going to try making lip balm, so stay tuned, as I will post photos of that too! Thanks for stopping by! x